Sunday, December 28, 2008

Times are a changin'

So, Christmas is over and my birthday is right around the corner, then the new year begins. I look so forward to this time of year, the kids are so sweet and you notice a lot of the little things they say or do and you feel all warm inside, then one day, it just seems like too much. All the stress and hustle and bustle that comes with the holidays, why do we do that to ourselves? I guess their is probably already a condition called Christmas postpartum? If not, their should be. My kids got everything their little hearts desired (not just because of us, but because others buy them so much). We all ate way to much, and now feel like big blobs walking around and wondering where all of our money has gone. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and I love seeing my kid's faces light up when they come down the stairs wondering what Santa brought them this year, but I just can't seem to shake the bad feeling I get when I think of the state of the economy. I still have my job, heck, I even was cocky enough to go out and buy a new car last week, but about 12 percent of our work force got laid off last week. I work in the publication field and we are hurting. Times are changing, and print publications are hurting for business. We are going to pour some money into marketing and branding, which we should have been doing all along! I hope other companies plan to do the same. We all have to spend money to make money. I keep telling myself times are changing, and we must change with it! How come is that so easy for me to tell others, but I have a hard time listening to myself? Really, down deep, I know everything will be alright. My little family will be just fine. I hope everyone else feels that same way, because if I didn't have that, I don't know what I would have. I guess that is one way to look at things, all of this recession talk reminds me what is really important. It's not the kind of car I drive or the house I live in or my job status, it's that I have a healthy loving family that will always be there for me, and I for them. 

Now I can tackle Monday and go back to work tomorrow!

No comments: